Brits looking to lose weight are being told they can still enjoy tasty snacks and reach their fitness goals.

The fitness experts at Goal Plans powered by MuscleFood are sharing their ultimate guide to snacking, made up of tasty treats without compromising on a healthy diet.

There is a common misconception that healthy eating means eliminating tasty and filling snacks from our diets. 

Experts are encouraging people to stop thinking of snacking as an unhealthy habit and instead find snacks that are high in protein and fibre to keep us feeling fuller and more energised for longer.

Snacks such as protein bars and cheese with wholegrain crackers are great for curbing cravings while satisfying our hunger needs.

Health and fitness expert, Ashleigh Tosh, from  Goal Plans said: “A lot of us love our snacks throughout the day, they’re sometimes what keeps us going!

“The good news is you can definitely incorporate snacks into a healthy diet. If anything, it’s actually encouraged as it helps keep you full and energised in between your larger meals throughout your busy day.

“The key to good snacking is to go for foods that are high in protein or fibre – this is what will keep you feeling fuller for longer meaning you’ll be less likely to reach for any unhealthy crisps or sweets in between.

“Healthy snacks don’t have to be boring either! I’ve put together some of my favourite snacks that help me satisfy my cravings and stick to my goals without having to compromise on taste.

“My general advice to people on their fitness journey is to focus on the 80/20 rule. As long as 80% of your food is good quality, use the other 20% to give yourself some wiggle room – this is key for a sustainable healthy relationship with food!”

Seven healthy snacks to enjoy:

  1. Trail mix

This snack is a mixture of nuts, seeds and dried fruits and is a great source of protein. It’s also packed with healthy fats and slowly releases energy, keeping you full and energised for longer. Just be mindful about your portion size as they can be calorie dense.

  1. Carrots and houmous 

Houmous is high in healthy fats, providing you with fat soluble vitamins. It’s also high in fibre which will keep you full and help with your digestive health. You can swap out your carrot sticks for celery sticks or even cucumber.

  1. Protein bar

If you have a sweet tooth, protein bars can be a great snack to help curb your cravings. This sweet treat will help you up your protein intake during the day which is essential in muscle growth and repair.

  1. Protein shake

Like a protein bar, a shake will allow you to increase the amount of protein in your diet, they’re also very filling. Nowadays you can get such a wide variety of flavours that will suit any appetite!

  1. Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit

This popular snack is high in fibre and can be low in calories. Opt for fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries to keep the snack healthy. 

  1. Crackers with cheese

If you prefer savoury snacks, crackers with cheese are perfect for appeasing your appetite. Just make sure you’re using wholegrain crackers to increase your fibre intake. 

  1. Boiled eggs

Eggs are one of the best and easiest sources of protein with one large boiled egg containing around six grams of the nutrient. 

Recommended Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *